Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Thar Desert

For the first time in life I got an opportunity to visit the desert areas of Rajasthan. And I made sure that I didn’t miss this one. And to my astonishment I got much more than I expected. Such wonderful scenes and sight that one could stop and be there forever. Although it was hot in afternoon but nights were cool. The journey through the desert was classic. Just imagine moving through a vacant highway full of sands on both sides with no signs of life nearby. The sub towns and villages were situated far at a distance from each other and there were no roadside shops or dhabas. Roads were in synchronization with the sand dunes as far as the highs and lows were concerned much like a roller coaster ride. But the entire scene was picturesque. Had I been alone I would have spent entire day in taking pictures.
Another good thing about Thar Desert was that people living in this area were very busy ones. They engaged themselves in some or the other work all the time. Heat made no difference to them; even kids were busy grazing their cattle in whatever amount of grass and allied plants were available. There were no signs of things like cold drinks; snacks etc, people there are fond of their simple and plain food which is available to them.
And how can I forget the lovely sunset. Till now, most of the sunsets seen by me have either been in mountains or behind the man made buildings, but looking at the sun setting behind huge and distant sand dunes was a completely soothing experience. We also encountered the desert ships at various places.
All the Rajasthani folk songs came fresh in my mind as I was sailing through the ocean of pure sand with no dirt. It seemed as if gold was lying all around the place and the entire desert looked like a huge treasure.
In all it was wonderful one with a lot of lovely memories, and a very restful experience.

No comments: